Friday, January 20, 2017

Reluctant difficulties

conversationWhy is it so difficult to have a conversation with people about themselves?
I usually prefer it that way. Mainly because I don't have to keep talking and dominating the conversation; and I'm genuinely interested. But whatever approach I take, no matter how nonchalantly or chill, no matter how safe the environment is, they just take offence to you showing interest, or acting all coy and reluctant. Virtually everyone I've met was like this, and I've seen them have no problem opening up to others. Again, I prefer it because it means I don't have to keep talking, otherwise I just take up the entire conversation, or keep talking about myself and my interests.

"I still can't get the hang of it"
And whenever there are attempts to deliberately stop and give them room to speak, it's always "no, no, you can keep going" from them as they continue to sit there, be quiet, and listen (and attempts to push further often risk being invasive and pushy too much to be worth it). And when you end the conversation so you don't end up going on and on about stuff, they interpret it like they're the assholes. Twenty years in, and I still can't get the hang of it. And I swear, the past ten years people have grown quieter and quieter. And it just makes me feel like a selfish prick who doesn't care about them. Even when they've said nothing on the matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment